Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Physical Therapy

I saw the orthopedic dr. on Monday of this week and all the x-rays showed everything "looked" normal. He examined me and said it looked and sounded like I was having trouble with my SI joint, that it was popping in and out. So he recommended me go to a physical therapist and do treatment. I scheduled the first therapy for the next day. She also evaluated me and after doing many exercises she discovered I have a bulging disc in my lower vertabrae. She can't be sure which one it is without an MRI, but the exercises and treatment are the same for all of this area. She looked at my back at first and said, "Oh you've got scoliosis". I knew that already, but it isn't as bad as it could be. That is not what has caused the bulging disc, but has occured over YEARS of bad posture, and now with a 33 pound kid, I probably have "worn it out" (those were her words). I go for Therapy on Friday again and suppose to go for 3 weeks 2 times a week. I also am to do the exercises at home 6-10 times a day. The other thing she discovered, that I didn't know about myself, is that I am very flexible, OR gumby as she put it. She said that gymnastists and other athletes are like this, but not many people are. I always knew I was flexible, but never knew I was "different". WOW I could have become an olympic gymnastist, ha ha.

The bad thing about being "gumby" is that it is going to take longer to "heal" the disc because once I work it back into place by doing the exercises it just slips back out more easy since I'm so loose. She just said that I'm going to have to deal with this forever most likely, and I'll have to do these exercises for a LONG time. My daddy actually has a bulging disc, and now I need to teach him these exercises to help with his too. She gave me a lumbar roll to sit behing me in the car or anywhere I'm going to be sitting for a long time. So far I've improved my posture tremendously, BUT I woke up SO sore this morning. My shoulders hurt and arms and everything just hurts. I have been taking anti-inflammatories to help despite the toll it will take on my stomach. That's another long battling thing, BUT I've got to have something.

I just wanted to update on what's going on and I hope you all are having a great week so far. We've had a busy week this week so my computer time has been limited. We had VBS association clinic Monday night and I lead the crafts session. I had to go Monday morning to decorate the room and get all the supplies out. That afternoon I had the Dr. appt. and then left that evening and didn't get back until 10:00. Yesterday I had therapy in the morning and then got back put Emily down for nap and cooked supper and left for women's Bible study, and didn't get back until 10:00 last night. Today we met Janice for lunch with another sweet lady and her little girl. We were invited to go to the park this morning, but poor Emily, said "no mommy, I want to stay at home and play with you". How sad. We'll be gone again tomorrow to our last day at Mabel White working for their Bible study. We won't be going back in the fall because I'll be directing and starting up our own parent's day out at Tabernacle (which I'll write more about later). All in all we're tired and busy and hope to rest this weekend (yeah right). Have a great rest of the week.

No comments: