You may remember that I called Focus on the Family about a month ago to ask counseling for Emily. I was having a lot of trouble with disciplining her and was getting frustrated as a parent (as I'm sure you can understand if you've ever had a 2 year old). In calling them they gave me some, what I thought at the time was GREAT, advice and counseling. The man I talked to was really nice and he said that I needed to start a reward system for her and that when she used self-control I would put a marble in a jar. When the jar was half-full, and full, I could do something special for her...reward her. I won't spill my thoughts on rewarding children, but I just listened to the man. All I can say is, do I get a "prize" every time I control my temper or am kind to one another???? Hmm...something to think about huh.
Anyway, moving on...He then made a statement about her pitching fits in the store and that I should not allow her to go the next time to show her that her behavior was unacceptable. I then made a statement that I sometimes feel guilty about not letting her go with me, because we stay at home and I don't work. He then said that I should not feel guilty and that it is my "job" to make the home a welcome place. He said that I am suppose to make it an environment that Emily doesn't want to leave. He commented about how parents of teenagers always complain that their kids are never home, and are late coming home. He said that it's because "we" have trained them to always want to "go" somewhere, or never stay at home. I agree that our society is a "busy" society, always running from here to there and never accomplishing anything of importance. I agreed with him for the most part on this, until this morning.
When Emily woke up the first thing she said was, "Where are we going today mommy?" When those words came out of her mouth, I felt like a failure according to the advice this man had given me. I continually kept running the words in my head, "I have to make her want to stay at home...make the home a welcoming place". I was devastated that she wanted to leave. I left out of the room for a moment, and said to God, "Help me, I feel like a failure!!!". Well he definitely heard me. He "spoke" to me and said, "why is what that man said the truth". In a sense he revealed to me that HIS calling for all of us as Christians is to "GO"...and make disciples (Great Commission). WOW, I really was hit with a wall of encouragement. God doesn't want us to stay at home, ALL the time, and to raise our kids to want to stay at home with us. We as parents are suppose to teach and train our children, so that they want to witness, and teach others about Christ & what He did for us on the cross.
I grew up in a home that was welcoming and inviting. A lot of my friends always wanted to come over to my house. When I was dating I hardly ever left home, my dates hung out alot at my house. I was raised as a child & teenager that you need to stay at home. Well, I obviously didn't stay at home, I'm living in GA huh! BUT do still desire to live there, near my family. Nothing is wrong by all means, for staying near your family. But I do wonder what if I had been raised differently, about living away from home, would I be in Africa as a missionary right now? I honestly don't know, and know it doesn't matter, because I am so grateful for how I was raised. I know God raised me just the way HE wanted.
Now it is our turn, with Emily, and I pray that I will use the opportunities when we go out and about, to Wal-mart, Walgreens, Chick-fil-A, or Kroger, that I teach her to be a witness for Christ wherever you are!!! None of this may have made any sense to you, but it was a true revelation and encouragement from God for me. Praise to God our Father who knows our every need and thought! I hope this has encouraged you all who have read it (whether you agree or disagree with it)



3 comments:
Thanks Jennifer! This was great encouragement and a great reminder of God's call on our lives as Christians. You are doing such a wonderful job at parenting and are a great mommy! Don't let anyone tell you anything different :) Have a great day!
Thanks, hope you're doing well to. I know things are probably stressful at the office with the new preacher. I'm praying for you :)
THat is really exciting! It is hard, but you will make it through and hopefully enjoy the fruit of your labors!
Post a Comment