Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Test results....again :)

Well here I go with more results from the tilt table test I had on my heart yesterday. They were testing me for autonomic dysfunction, where the blood pools in the legs and doesn't pump to where it needs to go when standing and get up from sitting (then causing dizziness low blood pressure etc). Well it turns out I do not have this condition whew!!! BUT however while on the tilt table when they raised me to a standing position my heart rate flew to 150!!! I almost passed out, but she gave me fluids through the IV and I started coming around. All in all that showed the cardiologist that I have postural orthostatic tachycardia. Basically my heart beats way too fast when I get up, move around, or exercise etc. This explains EVERYTHING, that I've been dealing with lately. It's usually the last thing they figure out after ruling out other conditions (like Addison's, autonomic dysfunction, thyroid imbalance, etc). I will start taking a calcium channel blocker medicine today to try to help slow my pulse down. I just hope it doesn't make me too sleepy. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia.com


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to:
navigation, search
Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (often referred to as just postural tachycardia syndrome or POTS) is a condition of dysautonomia, and more specifically, orthostatic intolerance, in which a change from the supine position to an upright position causes an abnormally large increase in heart rate, called tachycardia. This is often, but not always, accompanied by a fall in blood pressure. Several studies show a decrease in cerebral blood flow with systolic and diastolic CBF velocity decreased 44 and 60%, respectively [1] Patients with POTS have problems maintaining homeostasis when changing position, i.e. moving from one chair to another or reaching above their heads. Many patients also experience symptoms when stationary or even while lying down. Symptoms present in various degrees of severity depending on the patient. POTS is a serious, though non-life threatening, medical condition that can be severely disabling and debilitating. Many patients are unable to attend school or work, and especially severe cases can completely incapacitate the patient.
On top of all this I have caught Emily's cold, and think Glenn is coming down with it too. Pray we all get over it soon. With the crazy weather we've been having it's almost impossible though. Thank for all your prayers over the past few months as I've been dealing with all these Dr.'s appoinments, and tests. I pray that it is all coming to a conclusion and that 2009 won't be spend in and out of Dr.'s offices, and hospitals like 2008 was. Hope you all have a great Wednesday and stay out of this fierce wind we're having :)

2 comments:

April :) said...

I'm so glad that they are figuring out what has been going on so now they can give you a plan to feel better! I have low blood pressure. Mine isn't as severe I don't think. The dr. told me to eat more salt and drink more caffeine. That has helped. But it did help me to understand why I always feel like I'm going to pass out when doing aerobics! Cause that makes your blood pressure drop and when it's already low there you go!

Glad to hear you are going to be okay and they no what is going on now! Enjoy 09! :)

Carley said...

Great news! I'm so glad that they finally diagnosed what's been going on! I hope this medicine will help you feel better. Keep me updated!