Sunday, August 17, 2008

Emily's Birthday table

I am attempting to make Emily her own little table so that she can sit at to color and do whatever. I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I'm tired of sitting on the kitchen floor to color and use markers. My back has had it...so I started thinking about getting Emily a kids table a week or so ago. I got to looking and pricing them and the cheapest one I could find (with 2 chairs) was $85 from Toys R Us. Well I didn't really like this table all that much, and the ones I found on the internet were all over $100-$200. Well since we are on a "tight" budget i thought, "hey why can't I do this myself". So after looking at the Goodwill for a used one last week, I found myself in Lowe's determined I could do it. Well believe it or not I found all the materials I needed. I knew the measurements of what most kids tables are and based on that I figured out everything I needed. I tend to do things my own way anyway, so forget going by any directions. Materials for the table cost around $60 if you average what I used and didn't use.

Since I can't work the drill I had Glenn attach the metal work onto the table top for me. From there it's all me. It's a real simply table, rectangle with legs...hey it doesn't have to be fancy in my book, and I personally don't like tables painted...it takes away from their natural state. I'm in the process now of staining and varnishing it. I just put a 2nd coat on and think it is starting to look pretty good. I can't however get all the dust particles out so I'm not happy that there is a few rough spots...we'll see after this layer dries.It's been fun, I hope it turns out. I am however still in need of 2 chairs. They are very expensive on the internet so that option is out. My moma and daddy have 2 old chairs from the school that I think will work, but they are painted wood. I am thinking of just repainting over them in a chocolate color or some brown to blend with the natural table. I may look at Michaels too because they actually may have some unfinished kids chairs that would be perfect...we'll see.

Hope you've all had a great Lord's day. We did and I'm glad to say that Glenn and I now have a spot in Sunday school. We've been "nomads" for a while and really haven't felt like we needed to be sitting in an adult class, so Jenny asked today if we wanted to be the 1st and 2nd grade teachers!!! YEAH. I'm really excited about the opportunity to get back teaching kids. God will definitely have to give me the knowledge and strength as I've not taught Sunday school in a while...but I know He will provided us with what we need.

Hope you all have a great week...OH did you happen to watch the mens swimming last night...Michael Phelps won AGAIN...ALL Gold for him--8 events and he won gold in them all. WOW it truly amazes me watching the Olympics...especially the marathon they ran last night. Anyway, have a great week.

No comments: