Monday, August 18, 2008

Being "Set" on Jesus

My Bible study is now in Colossians...and I started reading chapter 3 this morning. It was so filled with the truth that I couldn't read but through verse 11. I just wanted to share a little bit of it with you. It's talking about having your whole self "set" on Jesus.

"1. Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2. Set your minds on things above not on earthly things...4. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. 5. Put to death, therefore whatever belongs to your earthly nature..." Colossians 3:1-5. It thens goes through a list of specific things to "put to death", like immorality, lust, anger, bitterness...etc. As I was reading this my mind began to think of ways it's not been "set" on Him lately. I've been focusing over the past week about getting Emily a table and chair set for her birthday. I know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this...but I asked myself the question does it come before Jesus? Hmm, I have to admit that I probably was thinking too much about her birthday when I should be thinking about Him.

It is hard to not focus on "earthly things" since we are in the world and consumed with it all the time. A friend of mine told me the other day that they do not have cable T.V. I was real impressed with this...and it has caused me to start thinking about it for our family. T.V. hardly ever does anything "good" for us. The only thing useful we have it for is the "Weather Channel" (which by the way is about all we watch if anything during the day). I haven't even brought this up with Glenn, but is something I think we as a family should consider.

I pray that I may keep my heart, mind and body "set", "fixed", and always seeking Jesus. By the way, I did find some kiddie chair kits (build your own kids chair...solid wood) at the Michael's this morning ($17.00 a kit). Just a little "fun" to through in here. Hope you all have a great Monday. Oh for those of you that blog...I would love to know how to "spruce" up my page...adding links, videos, slide shows, etc...I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

No comments: