Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Making of a Butterfly Pinata

Emily's birthday is coming up next month, and as you know we spend several weeks preparing for her party. This years theme, butterflies! I don't know why, but at least she's given me something easy to work with. As I started looking online for decorations and things, I found pinatas. She's had a pinata for every birthday (except for her 1st), and I found some of the cutest butterfly pinatas online...averaging around $20-30 (of course the one I like was the $30 one). So I got to thinking the other day why don't we just make one! SO we got some cardboard and cut out two big butterfly pieces.You can see who was entertained by the "butterfly box house" that was left over. That kept them both entertained while I was hot-gluing.

I used cereal boxes (a lighter weight cardboard) for the sides, and since we eat alot of cereal I had tons to choose from. The hot gluing was not at all hard, just time consuming. But with Emily's help holding the sides we got it all pieced together.

It's actually very sturdy. We left flaps at the top and bottom for filling the candy and the one at the bottom for releasing the candy.
Once we got a layer of white painted and dried on both sides I drew on a butterfly and painted it.
Then I added strips of tissue paper folded and cut all around the edges to make it look like a pinata. After I found enough tissue paper, this was the HARDEST part, I then outlined the butterfly with black to make it stand out.

To add some extra decoration I made little tissue paper flowers and glued them around the edges, just to give it some more dimension. Except for the strings and candy it's finished. Now we just have to make sure we get the strings in the right spot so that the first kid who pulls a string doesn't release it all. I inspected the pinata from last year to make sure I knew how to do it, but Glenn will have to help me with that. I'll let you know how it works!!!


No comments: