Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Butterflies on the Brain

So with Emily's party just 2 weeks away, I've totally got butterflies on the brain!!! I think I dream butterflies!!! This year I've tried to focus on some minor details, like decorating and goodies for the kids. As you read earlier I made my own pinata (because I wasn't going to pay $30 for one). I used cardboard from the garage and paint I already had. The only thing I had to buy was one pack of tissue paper. Looking online I really liked the idea of having every girl a pair of butterfly wings. The only problem was the cheapest I could find them was $5-$10 a pair!!! With 10 or more kids coming you know I wasn't going to pay up to $50 on wings!!!!! SO I pulled out the coat hangers and created my own. Of course they aren't perfect but they turned out pretty cute.
Getting them to the above look took ALOT of effort. I started on Saturday attaching 2 hangers together. Sunday I put on the panty hose...which I got a pair of knee highs in the little round plastic balls for $0.33!!! YES 33 cents each!!! So far my wings cost only 33 cents a piece. I added some color with some acrylic paint.
Then I bought a huge spool of fuzzy thread and attached it with a hot glue gun. This was by far the hardest part (I didn't burn myself too many times at least).
OH the below are the wings drying outside after I sprayed them with glitter, so yes they sparkle now...a nice touch. One can of spray glitter was around $2 and it did all 10 of these wings.

The final product with elastic arm holes in the back!!! I use elastic I already had, plus two small packs I bought $2 each. Again, they aren't perfect BUT they are WAY cheaper than bought ones, and probably will hold up better too!!! You can't see it in this picture but covering the center is cute pink polka dot felt I found on sale at Hancocks. It took only 3 sheets and they are really cheap! On top of that is probably the most expensive thing, and little sticky felt butterfly I stuck in the middle. Totally CUTE and I'm super excited that now all the girls will have butterfly wings (which I will use to decorate the back of all the chairs when they come in).

Okay, so this is a yogurt drink bottle. Doesn't it just scream BUTTERFLY to you??? It sure did to me!!! We go through TONS of these in our house, since Joseph has discovered them. When I started looking around the house for things to recycle for the party (like the old cardboard and clothes hangers) I immediately had a plan for these babies!!! Butterfly name places for the table.
You can see below where I'm going with this. I painted a base coat with pink paint. After it dried I actually painted another coat, then after it dried completely I added a layer of glitter paint. It gave it the rose look, they were bright pink before, but I love the rose color. The wings were made from scrap book paper (I found on the clearance rack at Michael's), and I cut them at church on our die cut machine (I think I've punched over 100 butterflies so far for this party). I then glued a round wooden ball for the head.

I've painted eyes since this picture and will include their names on a flower at the bottom. Aren't they just the cutest, all from a yogurt drink bottle. The one problem I've found is I should've filled the bottom with a little rice or something to weigh them down. they are very light and the wooden top makes them top heavy so that tip over kind of easy but not THAT bad...just a thought if you decide to use something like this. They are so cute though!!!

For the goodie bags, which will be filled with butterfly candy bags and other goodies I looked no further than the Martha Stewart page, because I got this straight from her website. I just changed it for my own party. I used the die cut butterflies and flowers, and cut grass out of green scrapbook paper. I glued the butterfly to a clothes pin, so as I fill the bags, and they put their other goodies in it (like their name place butterflies) they can just clip it closed!
Below is the butterfly garland I've made to hang behind the food table. I haven't gotten a picture of the finished product but I added pink toole to each strand of butterflies, and it looks SO super cute now, that picture will be made when I actually hang it up.

This little project is a dessert stand, and I SO didn't have to make this, and it cost the MOST money of EVERYTHING, but I had to try and make on for myself. I is just styrofoam pieces (round of course) in 3 different sizes. I took 2 soup cans and covered them in white cardstock, and hot glued them together. I had to cut 3 round pieces of my bakers cardboard to go on top of the styrofoam. I hot glued fancy ribbon around the edges, and while doing so got a TERRIBLE glue gun burn. A big glob of glue got on my finger and I didn't pull it off immediately (which is what you're suppose to do...just leave it). I learned from a previous burn that I just ripped it off and it pulled 3 layers of skin with it. This time I gradually pulled it off with ice on it, and it left the biggest blister I've ever seen. Since then it's healed, but it has left a nasty scar. SO I'm very careful with my glue gun now.
There's alot more to come, but these are the major and main things I've been working on for the past 3 weeks!!!

No comments: