
For the whole month of November we are looking at America. We are starting this week studying the Native American Indians. My lesson plans only had me focusing on them ONE DAY! SO I re-wrote some things, and after a trip to the library we got LOTS of information. I have been waiting so long to wear my Indian head-dress that I got in the mountains at a Cherokee shop when Emily was only a baby! I've worn it every morning during the lesson and Joseph's just now warming up to it. First we learned the basics about all Native Americans, where they are located, the different houses they lived in, and the foods they ate.

Emily drew a nice picture of some of the different houses. The Adobe and Teepee weren't the only forms of houses they lived in. Emily liked the "Wigwam" houses the best, mostly because of it's funny name.

I had to throw this little picture in of what I found my little boy doing one morning. He had helped himself to an apple...can you tell he enjoyed it...peelings and all.


The next day we looked at what the Native American wore...and we made a head-dress. She did very well cutting and coloring it all.


Yesterday we took a little field trip to the Museum of Arts and Sciences with Emily's friend Mary Grace. They had a few Indian Artifacts, but we are planning another field trip down to the Indian Mountains tomorrow (if the weather permits). They have TONS of artifacts and it's just an interesting place to go, especially since we're studying the Native Americans.


Today we studied the Choctaw Indians (go figure since the reservation is just miles from my parents house). Emily was so excited when she saw in the book we were reading the Choctaw Indian baskets. We then went around the house counting all the Choctaw Indian baskets we have inherited...I say inherited because they were all gratefully given to us. We love our baskets!!! Emily then drew her own picture of some Indian baskets (sorry no picture). THEN we played a little Choctaw Indian game. We each had a stick, colored with a different color. Joseph's blue, Emily's red, and mine was orange. I then placed a rabbit in the circle I taped off on the floor. Then we tried to hit the rabbit with our sticks. It's an old game called, "Chunkey", according the the book. It says they play it at the Indian Fair, but I've never been so I don't know.


This is just a little tid bit of information if you're teaching children phonics and how to read. These little word pull-outs I found on another blog are AWESOME! I have taken all my hooked-on-phonics words and put them into these and she does GREAT. If I have her look in the curriculum book she does NOT so great, but this little creative idea is perfect! They slide the letters in and out and sound the letters out with the letters on the outside. "Sip", "Dip", "Hip" and so on. This is our new one for the week so we're still working on it. But I've learned the phrase "Whatever works" to be true!!!!

Our last project for today was making corn cakes. We used corn meal, like the Indians use to (except we didn't grind it ourselves) and she "fried" them. The only thing I did was flip them. We ate a couple but the rest will be given to the birds I'm sure. Joseph loved them more than any of us.


Now for some more fall fun pictures. We went to a neighbors yard this afternoon to find some leaves to play in. We don't have many trees that produce alot of falling leaves in our yard so we have to venture to someone else's yard. The ladies name is Loretta Lynn (no joke) and she doesn't live there, just owns the house. SO since she's never there we've discovered her nice yard!!! We helped her out today by raking. I'm sure by the end of the afternoon the leaves will have covered the ground again, but we still got some cute pictures!!!






Where's Emily??? Can anyone see her?? Where did she go???

I hope you all have a wonderful November and that it will be filled with many thoughts of Thanks! We are working on our Top Ten Thankful list that I'll be publishing from each of our family members soon. Happy Fall!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment