Sunday, July 18, 2010

Memories of Mamaw Alford


We lost another important member of our family this week, Susie Mae Alford, our Mamaw Alford. She was 95 on February 22, and lived a long full life. We will never forget all that she did to touch our lives. I can still see her sitting in her chair in the house and when we would walk in she'd said real loud "Hee Hoo, I'm back here". I can still see her outside in the garden with that hoe, working the garden and her flowers (zinnias and roses were her favorite). I can still see her sitting on the porch swing watching all the cars drive by. I could go on and on about all the memories I have for sure, but most recently I can remember every time we would go to see her in the nursing home she'd said when she saw Emily "Who's that pretty little girl, what's her name? Oh yes Emily Rebekah". It was never just Emily, it was always Emily Rebekah. She never got to really meet Joseph, but she saw his picture on her wall and knew his name too.Every Christmas eve we would all eat up at Mamaw's...as kids we would race to get some divinity (which she's the only person I ever knew that can make it good). I always looked forward to the cherry salad and most importantly chocolate pie!!! After eating we would all open presents and the ones from Mamaw were always home made and hand picked for each of us grandchildren. We were always blessed to receive some of the most beautiful quilts you've ever seen.Emily sleeps under one of these quilts today. When it came to quilt making there wasn't one of us she favored over another, we all got quilts and they were either just alike or were made in colors she knew we liked. I will always cherish each of the quilts that she made for certain and these will be passed down for many more generations.
Mamaw Alford was also the center of many of my art projects. The photo at the top was one that I took and developed myself in my photography class. Alot of my watercolor painting are from barns or old cars of hers. I always loved painting these types of scenes and I am SO grateful for being raised in this family so that I have had this opportunity to use this talent God blessed me with (if only I could have the time now to paint like I use to). In closing we will all miss Mamaw Alford but she is in a much better place now. Thanks to you all for your prayers during this time.

2 comments:

rosajosa said...

Jennifer I'm so sorry! What are the arrangements. I saw your mom in Wal-Mart and she told me it wouldn't be long. Miss Susie Mae was a special lady :)

Anonymous said...

the funeral was on Sunday. Everything went great. Hope to see you at the Fair. We need to have a Beacon St. reunion.