Monday, December 17, 2007

Be Still

God reminded me of a a familiar verse today for which I'm so grateful. Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations I will be exalted in all the earth." I'm sure all of us can agree that this is the least of people's minds as they hurry to do last minute Christmas shopping. Christmas Eve is next Monday, and you can feel the excitement and anxiety in the air.
This morning as I took time alone with God He brought this verse to my mind. As I began to mediate on it and pray, a dog began to bark very loudly in our back yard. For those who know where I live this isn't uncommon. This particular dog began getting louder and louder and I knew he was not in his fence, but in our yard. Well, since I had just laid Emily down for her nap I didn't want this dog to wake her up, so I went out to see where it was. Well this is probably one of coldest days we've had so far, so I had to come back inside find a coat and shoes and then go back out. Well to my amazement this dog had chased a cat up a tree in our yard. Well we don't have animals so neither was ours. Well after many minutes of chasing the dog with a stick he ran off, and the cat finally came down. When I came back inside and returned to my "quiet time" God again reminded me of the verse Psalm 46:10. How funny and ironic the situation that had just happened. I was then reminded that I must sometimes fight (literally as I had to do today) to get quiet time with God, time in which I can sit and be still and know who He is.

I hope that this has made you laugh and reminded you to do the same. Fight for peace, fight for stillness, and fight for your time with Him!

(This picture is not of that dog, but of my parents dog Dutchess, I thought it would go cute with this blog)
.

No comments: